Monday, October 17, 2011

Lists + Red Pepper Soup

I love making lists.

List on phone

I make them on my phone.

List in notes

I make them in my notes during class.

List on whiteboard

I make them on the whiteboard in the kitchen.

I make them everywhere.

I'm pretty sure I've even made about five on this blog already.




For me, lists are less about getting things done and more about the satisfaction I get from crossing things off.

The very first list I made on this blog was of some recipes I wanted to try (mainly from Smitten Kitchen),

Well, I finally–months later–crossed one off the list. Red Pepper Soup.

Red Bell Peppers

I put off this recipe mainly because it calls for 12 bell peppers. And I wasn't really in the mood to drop that much money on a soup.

Finally, they went on sale and I jumped on it. And only made half a recipe.

What? I try to save money when I can.

Red Pepper Soup

Red Pepper Soup
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 cup white wine
6 large red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups vegetable broth
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in large pot. When oil is hot, add onions and cook until they begin to soften and turn golden. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add wine and cook down quickly over high heat, until only one tablespoon is left. Add peppers, stock, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer until peppers are tender, about 30 minutes. In a food processor, blender, or with an immersion blender, puree mixture until smooth (if using a food processor or blender, batches may be necessary). Adjust seasonings to taste.

Serve warm or chilled. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream or crème fraîche and a sprig of thyme.

2 comments:

  1. Are these lists a ploy to encourage parental participation???

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Vicki... not Victoria...No! It is a list purely for my own purposes... I have already bought two things off the list. But, if you feel inclined to help out I wouldn't object.

    ReplyDelete