Monday, December 5, 2011

Let's Talk Chocolate

 

Chocolate. A lot of ears perk up at the sound of that word.

Chocolate is a comfort food, a de-stressor, a staple to many's diet.

Fun fact: In high school, I wrote a thesis on the evolution of chocolate and sought to prove if the quality of chocolate has improved or declined since its origins.

Needless to say, I have a slight attachment to chocolate.



I learned several things through my research. One of them is this: many people may say they make their own chocolate. But, in reality all they are doing is melting down some Valrhona or Scharffen Berger and making some truffles or bars. It is rare to come across a chocolate artisan that truly makes their own chocolate. From the cacao bean, through the laborious process, to the smooth elixir we know as chocolate.

So, when I came across this video a few months ago, I swooned... literally.

The Mast Brothers are producers that our current business world yearns for more of. As consumers, you should realize that they are a rare breed. And they should be supported because of that.

At the Natural Epicurean, we talk extensively about being intentional about sourcing locally or knowing where your ingredients come from. The mission of the Mast Brothers holds true to these teachings. They are involved in the process from the very beginning to the very end and pour their passion and commitment into their product.

On top of that, through my email conversations with them, I get the feeling that Mast Brothers are not only totally into experimenting and trying new things, but also they have amazing customer service. I like businesses like that.

I'm longing for the day that I can make it back to NYC and visit their factory and store. It shall happen sooner than later.

0 comments:

Post a Comment