Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I'm Baaaack!

Gerber Daisies

Remember that time I went AWOL for two weeks?

Sorry about that.

But, now I am back and ready to talk about food some more.

What have I been up to in my time away, you may ask?

A lot of working. A little bit of cooking. A lot of learning.

The past two weeks were Antique Weekend in Round Top. So, each weekend I packed my bags and set off to serve pie. Lots and lots of pie.

By the last day I was exhausted.

After a day of rest, I'm ready to get back to blogging and talking about my food experiments.



In the coming weeks I'm going to tell you all about my first attempt at making almond milk, update you on my CSA, give you a peek at some of the projects I am working on, and much more. I may even tell you about my horribly failed first attempt at gluten-free bread.

But first, I want to share with you my new motivation.

In class yesterday, we had a chef do a demonstration about potatoes during lecture. It all went fine for the most part. But something he said to me has been at the front of my mind ever since then.

While he was making a potato pancake recipe that had three eggs in it, I asked him what he would recommend using to replace the eggs to make it vegan.

His response?

Basically, he told me that if you have to try too hard to replace ingredients to make a recipe vegan or gluten-free, don't make it. Make something else.

My (mental) response?

No. I will find a way.

That has been my attitude anytime I see a recipe that is not vegan or gluten-free. I look at it and try and figure out a way to make a comparable recipe that is specialized for certain diets.

I will find a way, and on that journey I will learn so much.

I can't wait.

Until tomorrow,
Abigail

0 comments:

Post a Comment