Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Creamy Basil Polenta with Roasted Roma Tomatoes

Polenta has always been a scary thing for me. My mom tried to serve the fam discs of that polenta that comes in a tube and I think I was scarred by that experience because I haven't eaten it since. More recently though I, for some reason, formed the opinion that it was too hard to cook. So I didn't.
But, after seeing my instructors cooking it in classes, I've realized that it's really not that scary.

So I decided to overcome my fear and cook it. And boy am I glad I did.
 


But, I couldn't just eat the polenta on its own.

Well, I could... but I shouldn't.

CSA Week 3 10/4

Yesterday I got my third CSA delivery, so I have a lot of fresh veggies to work with. 
I've had so much fun coming up with things to make with everything that my CSA sends my way. Sometimes I have to think a bit harder. Sometimes, I know right away what's gonna happen.

This time around, we got LOTS of tomatoes. I'm not a huge fan of tomatoes so I've had to think a bit more about when and how to use them. I'm happy with the way these tomatoes turned out.

In other news, I just found out that my favorite movie is now on Instant Netflix. Now I know what I'm doing Friday night.

Creamy Basil Polenta with Roasted Roma Tomatoes
Yields: 2 Servings
For Roasted Tomatoes:
2 roma tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds.
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
For Polenta:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup polenta
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
2 Tablespoons goat cheese
2 Tablespoons minced basil, plus additional for garnish

Preheat oven to 400º.

Place a cooling rack on a baking sheet or line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 

To prepare tomatoes, combine olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Dip each tomato slice in the oil mixture to coat. Arrange tomato slices on the prepared baking sheet. Place in preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until edges are browned.

While tomatoes are roasting, prepare polenta. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan or iron skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for a few minutes. Add wine to deglaze pan. Allow to simmer until majority of the wine has cooked away.

Add polenta and stir for a few minutes to lightly toast the polenta.

Add vegetable stock and cook, stirring constantly until all the moisture has been absorbed and polenta is cooked through. Add goat cheese and stir until thoroughly combined. Stir in basil.

Serve immediately.

To serve, arrange a few tomato slices on top of a mound of polenta and garnish with minced basil.

Enjoy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment