Friday, September 16, 2011

Garden Vegetable Hash

It's Friday, which means several things.


First, it's the weekend. Wooooo!

Second, the ACL masses have descended upon Austin–I can hear the bass from the music all the way at my house.

Third, it's time for some good-food talk.

For the past two weeks I have been figuring out ways to use the produce I received in my CSA. In my delivery I got these cute little sweet peppers. At first I thought it would be fun to stuff them with some of the other veggies I had. But let's be real that's way too much bell pepper for me to handle. So, I chopped them up and threw them into a mix of veggies.


I feel like that's how a lot of my cooking adventures go. I walk into the kitchen with one idea of how things are going to go, but then I end up with a totally different result.

What can I say? The food speaks to me.

Just kidding... well, kind of.

I walked into the kitchen with Smitten Kitchen's Smoke-Roasted Stuffed Bell Peppers recipe in hand. But what ended up in my bowl for dinner was far different, and I am very happy about that.


The result was this vibrant and fresh Garden Vegetable Hash.

Garden Vegetable Hash
Very loosely based on Smitten Kitchen's Smoke-Roasted Stuffed Bell Peppers

2 Tablespoons butter or olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 medium zucchini, cut into small dice
1 medium yellow squash, cut into small dice
2 medium bell peppers (I used 4 small bell peppers from my CSA)
2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (from 3-4 ears of corn; for extra flavor, once you've cut the kernels off, use the dull side of your knife blade to scrape the remaining corn and juices from the cob)
2 medium tomato, seeded and cut into small dice
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Salt and pepper, to taste

Melt butter or heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until almost tender, about 4 minutes. Add the zucchini, yellow squash, and bell pepper. Saute the vegetables until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. In a separate bowl, mix together corn and tomatoes. Once sauteed vegetables are done, add to the corn/tomato mixture. Mix well. Add basil and season with salt and pepper.

Serve warm or let chill and serve as a cold salad.

Enjoy.

Have a fabulous weekend.

Abigail

0 comments:

Post a Comment