Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A New Journey

Yesterday, I started an exciting new phase in my life... I started culinary school. That's right, I am officially two days into my training at The Natural Epicurean.

I was always  a curious child; I always wanted to know how something worked or why something happened. My parents had these old books called How it Works and other big books of facts that I loved flipping through. It's a wonder I didn't pursue a career in the sciences because before cooking came along, I was convinced I wanted to be a meteorologist or a chemist – all because I loved knowing how things were created and why they were happening. But, I guess cooking (and cooking school) is a natural progression from those science-y fields, because I am always trying to figure out how certain ingredients will react together and which I need to use to get just the right taste. As I embark on this new journey, I know that it is my curiosity spurring me along. In this venture there will be many "How?" and "Why?" moments, but I will strive to answer each one and, in doing so, I will grow my culinary skills and feed my curiosity.

One thing that my teachers have emphasized so far is that we should maintain an open mind throughout the program. I hope that I never lose sight of my reasons for attending this particular culinary school. I've known for several years that I wanted culinary school to be a part of my future. But as the time came closer to make that dream become a reality, I really struggled with what good I would contribute to society with my culinary skills. As I ruminated over how God wanted me to use my passion for food, I serendipitously met a woman who practiced macrobiotics as a way to manage a chronic disease without the need for any medicine. I was awestruck at the way she was able to use food as a vehicle for healing. To her, eating was not just something random that occurred throughout the day; she was very thoughtful about what she ate and sought to truly feed her body through what she ate. After seeing what food can do for people who are seeking healing, I saw a brief picture of what I could use my culinary skills to accomplish. The same woman introduced me to The Natural Epicurean and from there I began doing my own research and a passion was birthed inside me to use cooking to help people feel better about themselves, instead of contributing to societies many health woes.

So as I continue in my training, I want to keep that purpose in mind and always be open to the healing properties that each cooking method can hold for different people. Because I firmly believe that food holds so much more power in impacting our demeanor than many people attribute to it.

But enough about me... just think what wonderful stories and recipes I will be able to share with you.

Abigail


0 comments:

Post a Comment