Thursday, September 8, 2011

Boxed Macaroni & Cheese Redux


Mac and cheese redux

Some nights, vegetables just won't do for dinner.

Some nights, I just want something filling, and cheesy, and warm.

Last night was one of those nights.

When I got home late from classes, I took inventory of what I had in the fridge and in the pantry.

I decided upon Annie's Macaroni and Cheese with caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, and extra cheese.

I even made myself a single serving in one of the cute casserole pots I got for graduation.


Boxed Macaroni & Cheese Redux
1 box of macaroni and cheese (I used Annie's but you could use any brand you want)
1/4 cup milk
2 Tablespoon butter, divided
1/2 large onion, diced
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 350ยบ.

Prepare macaroni and cheese according to box instructions. When adding cheese powder, add milk and 1 Tablespoon butter.

Heat 1 Tablespoon butter in a saucepan. Add onions and garlic. Cook over low heat until onions are golden brown. Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are tender.

Combine cooked macaroni and cheese, onion mixture, and cheese. Pour into a buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle top with more cheese.

Place in preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment